If you are a college student, you know that roommates are a big part of your life. If you can’t get along with them, your time in college will be rife with arguments and stress instead of fun and memories.
Our leading Philly property management experts at DJCRE Property Management have compiled these five tips for making living with housemates more bearable!
- Remember that you don’t have to be BFFs. There is a pervasive pressure in our culture that romanticizes the idea that your college roommate will become your lifelong best friend and he or she is destined to play a major role in your wedding. Unfortunately, the truth is that the people you live with aren’t movie or TV show characters; they’re just normal people. If you and your housemates just aren’t clicking, know that you don’t need to be best friends; you simply need to respect one another’s spaces.
- Plan a cleaning schedule. No one person in your house is responsible for 100% of the housekeeping. Establish a cleaning schedule for common areas in your home like the bathrooms, kitchen and living room so no one feels like they’re being treated like a maid.
- Set rules about what can and cannot be shared. Some housemates will be fine with sharing things like clothing and food; others will want you to stay away from even borrowing their dishes. Set clear rules about what can and cannot be shared, and always remember to ask before taking anything.
- Be courteous to guests. If you have guests coming over, tell your housemates ahead of time, and remember to encourage them to avoid overstaying their welcome. If you are courteous to your guests, your housemates will be more likely to be courteous with theirs!
- Communicate directly. No one enjoys getting a passive-aggressive sticky note asking them to clean their dishes. If your housemate does something that upsets or annoys you, be brave and speak to them directly. Just like you, the people you live with want to get along; being direct will make the process easier.
Are you still looking for a place to rent? Give our team at DJCRE Property Management, the leaders of local property management in Philadelphia, a call today at 215-720-1097 to get started finding your perfect property.